Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Rank your Linux-Nerd Level

So you love your penguin powered computer huh? Just how does your level of Linux nerd stack up compared to the other Linux fans you know? Tally your points using the information below and find out.

The Easy Points (+1 each):

You know what Linux is.

You can name the Linux mascot.

You know what a "kernel" is (and I'm not talking about pop-corn).

You know the difference between Android, Ubuntu, and Linux (thats right folks - there is more to Linux than Ubuntu).

You use Linux every day.

The Average Nerd (+2 each):

You have installed a Linux-based OS on your own.

You have asked for help on a Linux forum/chat room.

You know the difference between Linux, BSD, Solaris and Unix.

You read FOSS new sites daily.

You use "free as in beer" to describe all things that are without cost - not just software.

The Serious Nerd (+3 each):

You solve more problems for other people than you ask about yourself on Linux forums/chat rooms.

You can install and configure Gentoo/Arch without documentation.

You recompile software for fun or too add a new build flag.

You know the difference between apt-get, yum, rpm and dpkg.

You own Linux merchandise and display it as often as possible (t-shirt, coffee mug, ect.)

The Duty of a Nerd (+4 each):

You have edited code that didn't want to compile so it would build correctly.

You contribute to/write for/maintain a Linux news website.

You own more computers than you can count on one hand and they all run some type of Linux.

The Nerdiest of them All (+5 each):

You maintain/regularly contribute code to an open source project.

You have written a patch that was accepted to the main-line Linux kernel.

OK go ahead and take a moment to tally up your points. Lets see what your total says about you:

Linux Ignorant (0-5 points):

Catch phrase: "Whats a 'linux'?"

Linux Newbie (6-10 points):

Catch phrase: "Hey guys - check out this new OS I found. It's free!"

Linux Jockey (11-20 points):

Catch phrase: "Here try this live CD."

Linux Tech (21-30 points):

Catch phrase: "OK first open a terminal..."

Linux Expert (31-40 points):

Catch phrase: "Hang on, I've got some code compiling."

Linux Master (41-50 points):

Catch Phrase: "Once I finish this software patch things are going to be sweet!"

Linux God (51+ points):

Catch Phrase: "Give me a moment, I am praying to Tux."

How do you rank on my little scale? Also please note this short little "quiz" is intended in good fun - it is not meant to be taken seriously in any way.

~Jeff Hoogland

30 comments:

  1. OK first open a terminal... funnily I ave said that plenty of times in the past;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am apparently a "Linux Tech" with 26 points. Catchphrase is particularly accurate too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As someone who was contributing patches to both the Gentoo and BSD camps before I left high school . . I have to say that the way you hobbyists perceive the world, or, the way you would like to think the world should be perceived, baffles me.

    That's the tragedy of blogs. Not everyone should have a soapbox.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Reading must have been hard when you where in high school:

      "this short little 'quiz' is intended in good fun - it is not meant to be taken seriously in any way"

      Delete
    2. I think he was just trying to be facetous... as in, linux god looking down on us mere mortals.

      Delete
    3. Troll is.

      In my day we used Butterflies to code with while walking up hill, both ways!

      Delete
  4. I don't say "free as in beer" because I use the term "free" instead like I'm meant to in the English language, causing no confusion. I'm not turning the whole language upside down to define a narrow category in life. I just use the terms "open" and "closed source". Simple, huh? No need to explain yourself next time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAAY! 47! I have not contributed to Kernel code yet alas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. "You own more computers than you can count on one hand and they all run some type of Linux." Sorry, I don't own more than 31 computers ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If I can count all my computers with my hands if I use binary does that give me more points or less?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice. 32, I just scraped into Linux Expert. I should get a T-Shirt made for that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hehe, I've got some code compiling. ;)

    btw... Richard Stallman did say this recently on twitter regarding "Free as in Beer":

    "Tired of hearing "free as in beer." Beer is a destructive substance that we should not freely associate with our movement."

    His account only tweeted two or three times and appears to have been deleted, but this tweet was on there around December, 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's kind of funny how true this is..I got 22 points, I have said this to my boys all the time lol..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funny! As a user I got only 13 points... Maybe I'll try more "Live"

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was fun, thanks for making this.
    I was honest in it and got 33 :)

    I used contribute code to 2 open source projects but not any more. If that still counts, add another 5 lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. I get 38 points. I don't have many computers because I consider that kind of waste generally indecent.
    On the other hand, I have contributed a significant effort in Free Software translations... bonus points there?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I be Jechytockey: no good troll bait
    to load up on

    ReplyDelete
  15. From now on, I will demand that friends acknowledge that they understand what I say with "Yes Master" (A reference to 10th Kingdom)

    ReplyDelete
  16. 15 points ain't bad if its just 2 months of linux usage!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. 'open the terminal' and 'try the live cd' are is what I say
    Nice one there Jeff!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. 35 - w00t!

    Must go now, the assembler has finished the last pass and it's time to burn the binary to ROM & test it....

    ReplyDelete
  19. I did that as bash script ;)



    #!/bin/bash
    score=0
    ask(){
    read answer
    case "$answer" in
    [Yy])
    let score=score+gain
    ;;

    [Nn])
    ;;

    *)
    echo wrong input
    ask
    ;;

    esac
    }
    result(){
    clear
    if [[ $score -ge "51" ]]
    then
    echo "Linux God (51+ points):
    Catch Phrase: "Give me a moment, I am praying to Tux.""
    elif [[ $score -ge "41" ]]
    then
    echo "Linux Master (41-50 points):

    Catch Phrase: "Once I finish this software patch things are going to be sweet!""
    elif [[ $score -ge "31" ]]
    then
    echo "Linux Expert (31-40 points):

    Catch phrase: "Hang on, I have got some code compiling.""
    elif [[ $score -ge "21" ]]
    then
    echo "Linux Tech (21-30 points):

    Catch phrase: "OK first open a terminal...""
    elif [[ $score -ge "11" ]]
    then
    echo "Linux Jockey (11-20 points):

    Catch phrase: "Here try this live CD.""
    elif [[ $score -ge "6" ]]
    then
    echo "Linux Newbie (6-10 points):

    Catch phrase: "Hey guys - check out this new OS I found. It is free!""
    elif [[ $score -ge "0" ]]
    then
    echo "Linux Ignorant (0-5 points):

    Catch phrase: "Whats a linux?""
    fi
    }

    gain=1
    echo "You know what Linux is."
    ask
    echo "You can name the Linux mascot."
    ask
    echo "You know what a "kernel" (and I'm not talking about pop-corn)."
    ask
    echo "You know the difference between Android, Ubuntu, and Linux (thats right folks - there is more to Linux than Ubuntu)."
    ask
    echo "You use Linux every day."
    ask
    gain=2
    echo "You have installed a Linux-based OS on your own."
    ask
    echo "You have asked for help on a Linux forum/chat room."
    ask
    echo "You know the difference between Linux, BSD, Solaris and Unix."
    ask
    echo "You read FOSS new sites daily."
    ask
    echo "You use "free as in beer" to describe all things that are without cost - not just software."
    ask
    gain=3
    echo "You solve more problems for other people than you ask about yourself on Linux forums/chat rooms."
    ask
    echo "You can install and configure Gentoo/Arch without documentation."
    ask
    echo "You recompile software for fun or too add a new build flag."
    ask
    echo "You know the difference between apt-get, yum, rpm and dpkg."
    ask
    echo "You own Linux merchandise and display it as often as possible (t-shirt, coffee mug, ect.)"
    ask
    gain=4
    echo "You have edited code that didn't want to compile so it would build correctly."
    ask
    echo "You contribute to/write for/maintain a Linux news website."
    ask
    echo "You own more computers than you can count on one hand and they all run some type of Linux."
    ask
    gain=5
    echo "You maintain/regularly contribute code to an open source project."
    ask
    echo "You have written a patch that was accepted to the main-line Linux kernel."
    ask

    echo Your score is $score
    result

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your score is 26
    Linux Tech (21-30 points):

    Catch phrase: OK first open a terminal...

    ReplyDelete
  21. My score was 19. But my Catch phrase is "First open a Terminal" The only thing I am using a GUI for is to write this post :-)

    ReplyDelete