Thursday, January 21, 2010

Is Cedega Hanging in There?

In one of my past articles I made a bold assessment that it appeared Transgaming might be dropping support for their Cedega Wine software. However it now appears that Cedega might be hanging in there - After more than a year of silence there was finally an update posted in Cedega's "Den" (announcements section). The post promises the certification of two games, Torchlight and Defense Grid: The Awakening, that happen to work well under their "recently" released 7.3.3 engine (The latter of the two pleases me greatly, I had purchased DG on Steam over the holidays and it does not function properly under Wine/CXGames as of yet). Also provided is a very vague "Development Update" that promises better OpenGL performance and mentions that at some point in the near future we should see a more detailed development plan - Alas two weeks later and still nothing.

In the end what does all this mean? Maybe nothing, but then only time will tell. I'm hoping that Transgaming gets around to posting development updates faster than they have been about fixing their application voting system (which has been non-functional for close to two years now). If Transgaming want's to save their Linux product they need to get on the ball - and quick. They are no longer the only big player in the world of commercial "Win-on-Lin" for gaming. Codeweavers has already posted their plans for development in 2010 and since they already support L4D2 (one of the most recently released hit PC titles) Transgaming is going to be hard-pressed to play catch-up.

As I've said in the past: I think Cedega is good software, however there is more to buying software than just the product itself. Here is to hoping Transgaming can get their customer service act together in 2010, because - while I like CXGames, competition is a wonderful driving factor in the business world.

~Jeff Hoogland

2 comments:

  1. I am not a big game fan. I am however since I have heard to keep your mind from becoming a big jelly goop of mess when I reach 80+ years old I am playing Sodoku now to keep my mind alert and fresh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey,

    I'm an author for a student-run tech blog called TechHaze (http://techhaze.com/) for which I cover Linux, Google, GUIs and Open Source as well as anything that attracts my curiosity. You can check out my articles at http://techhaze.com/author/calixtepictet/

    I've stumbled upon your blog and like it a lot. TechHaze is looking for partnerships with blogs and new writers, so I was wondering if you wanted to partner with us (as in co-publish an article once in a while, write for TechHaze, etc.). I'd be happy to give you more details if you're interested.

    Mariano Calixte Pictet
    calixtepictet@techhaze.com

    ReplyDelete