Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Bodhi is ARMing up for a new Year

The mainline Bodhi desktop repositories recently received the gift of stable E17 packages and this same present isn't far off for our ARMHF branch. In the mean time however I have prepared and shared new ARMHF images for the Raspberry PI and Samsung Chromebook.


For the Raspberry PI image, in addition to sporting the shiny new E17 packages - it now comes with the much requested WICD network manager by default. This means those of you using your Raspberry PIs with wireless devices will now have a GUI by default to configure/connect with this interface. You can find this new Raspberry PI image on our downloads page.


The Chromebook release is a bit more exciting. This image has audio working by default and the track pad functions much smoother - including two finger tap to simulate a right click. To get this latest images you follow the exact same install instructions I outlined here a couple weeks ago. For existing Bodhi-for-Chromebook users you can fix your audio by following this guide and improve the trackpad by following this one. One other thing worth noting is that the Chromebook automated installer now includes a md5sum check - so it will only complete the install if your download is valid.

I haven't forgotten about our Nexus 7 users - an update for you will be coming later this month as well.

~Jeff Hoogland

12 comments:

  1. An MK 802 image perhaps.... There are a lot of MK 802 owners. just askin'. Keep up all of your good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually own two MK802s - I bought the second with the express purpose of wanting to develop Bodhi stuff for it. I'm not sure if I've just gotten two bad devices or what though - my first MK802 has a busted MicroSD card slot and the second refuses to boot from any MicroSD I insert into the device.

      The poor quality of hardware that isn't consistent would be near impossible to support even if I did get my own to work.

      Delete
  2. Yeah, I understand. I like the idea of a small portable little computing device. I was able to get mine to boot Lubuntu and it had acceptable performance. I may try one of the 2nd or 3rd generations of the MK 802 or maybe something else. Thanks for all of your efforts with Bodhi.

    ReplyDelete
  3. UG802 or GK802 would offer superior quality.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I buy, package and sell mk808s with Picuntu Debian based armhf disto on 4gb stick. With a finless rom you get 1.something user space internal NAND and 4.2 Gb internal storage. Terminal boot to recovery or custome terminal widget to switch to Linux and pow. I love bodhi and would love to see its development for the RCK3066 armhf family. If the mk802 HW is inconsistent try the Mk808 from cozy swan on amazon. I buy them at 56 and pre package with class 4 8GB sd and resell with Linux for 75. Sold over 100 units every device identical in perfect original packaging. Easy for repackage resale locally. I help inept tech users locally. Soon to have company joomla site running on apache and php on the 808 dedicated support for the 808. Amazing little devices. Next purchase is the Pi and anarduino UNO for some telepresence projects :) keep up the good work! Looking forward to bodhi on RK based. Try tablets maybe?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually own an MK808 - and after toying around with it I simply can't recommend this device to anyone who really cares about/wants to support free software.

      Not until we have the ability to flash Android images from a free operating system at least. I refuse to install Windows so I can flash a custom Android ROM, so the RK3066 device can then boot Ubuntu.

      Needless to say Bodhi won't be supporting RK3066 devices until they get their act together.

      In the mean time MK802 device boots from a SD card by default (wonderful!) and we are looking into the GK802 which does the same. MUCH more FOSS friendly than RK3066 devices.

      Delete
    2. Not sure if you stumbled upon this post:

      http://www.armtvtech.com/armtvtechforum/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=350

      It seems like it maybe possible to flash the rk3066 without Windows
      http://www.arctablet.com/wiki/index.php/Update_tablet_using_Linux

      Not that I have tried.

      I was looking for a linux OS for my minix neo x5, there are no working releases to date

      Delete
  5. does your chromebook version have hardware acceleration?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does not. This is the last thing still busted on our Bodhi image for the Chrome book. As far as I know only ChromeOS has this function on the hardware to date.

      Delete
  6. yeah, same with the other linux version.

    thanks for the update; i'll keep checking on the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a heads up I don't personally have any need for 3D on the Chromebook - I just use it for office work mostly. If someone else manages to get it working though I will work at integrating their changes into the Bodhi images - but as of now it is not a high priority for me.

      Delete