Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Introducing eAndora - Pandora Client

A good deal of the work I do with the Bodhi project is packaging software/releases and managing things. One of my goals for this new year is to spend some time doing some actual development work with the Enlightenment Foundation Libraries and, more specifically, Elementary. I have a good bit of background with python programming, so my first leap into this field is writing a few small GUI applications in python and elementary.

I finally have enough work done on one of these projects that I feel OK sharing my work with the world. Today I would like to share with you a very, very early release of an application I am calling eAndora:


eAndora is a front end for Pandora Internet Radio. I've started a git repository here that I will be publishing updates to as I write them. The interface is still very basic, but the player is completely functional in the aspect that it allows you to browse and play your Pandora stations and skip tracks you don't like. In addition to being developed with Elementary, eAndora differs from projects like Pithos in the fact that it uses VLC as a streaming back end as opposed to the more common gstreamer.

Here are a few screen shots of the first draft of the GUI:

Login Screen:


Main Window:


Station Select:


I've packaged eAndora for Bodhi Linux and users can get it via a simple:

sudo apt-get install eandora

This package includes a launcher that is placed in your Audio menu.

Folks on other operating systems will need at least EFL 1.7.3, version 1.7.0 of the python EFL bindings and VLC 2.0.  Once you have all these installed simply clone the git repo and launch eAndora with:

python eAndora.py 

Please feel free to let me know any issues you find with eAndora by dropping a comment on this post. Do not however report a lack of functionality as an issue - there is still a good deal of work that needs to be done on this project - I just believe in sharing early and often.

Cheers,
~Jeff Hoogland

7 comments:

  1. That's really neat, Jeff! I'll try it out!

    Eman

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really nice, now if you can get a search field, you'll have a big time win.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried it (Bodhi & Eandora) on RasPi. Plays 2 songs great, then dies during 3rd or 4th. Same problem running Pithos on RasPi running Bodhi, but NOT when running Pithos under Lubuntu (on a different PC) - which suggests it is not a Pandora or Pithos issue. (BTW I am paid Pandora-1 subscriber). What am I missing ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Make sure you've got the latest eAndora version installed (20130102).

      And then from the command line launch:

      eandora

      And let it play. When it crashes please pastebin the crash output and paste it here for me (should give you a bunch of noise in terminal).

      Delete