Friday, July 6, 2012

E17 heading towards a Stable Release - No Really!

I've been pushing the Enlightenment desktop for some time now and for as long as I've been promoting it I've also been warning folks that it is under heavy development. Well folks - Duke Nuke'em Forever might have beat them to a release, but E team is prepping for a major (stable!) release themselves.

The E release manager has setup a wordpress you can find here to follow more specific details about the upcoming release. What can you do to help out with getting E17 on the road to release as a end user? Why filing bug reports of course! One thing worth noting is that if you are filing bug reports you should be keeping as close the latest SVN version as possible.

Finally - if it has been awhile since you've tried the Enlightenment desktop now is the perfect time! If you aren't inclined to be compiling software from source Bodhi Linux provides one of the best default implementations of E17 around. Arch Linux and Gentoo also provide fairly current builds of E17 in their community supported repositories.

2012 - the year of an E17 Release!


~Jeff Hoogland

7 comments:

  1. When I read the title the first thing I did was to look at the calendar to ensure it was not 1st April today!
    Anyway, this is great news and hopefully E17 users increase so there can be a bigger and better community

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please let us read an article about SecureBoot and your take on it,here in this blog,I am looking forward to it.
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not all excited about it because E17 has been a more useable desktop for me - especially compared to KDE4 and Gnome3 - for years. If that's what E17 considers "beta" then I'm happy already. Kudos to the team for getting an official release out, but their software has been more than adequate for this user for years. I laugh about all the Gnome3 angst: I moved to Bodhi with v1 and have never looked back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can someone help clear up my confusion -- I thought E17 core component libraries were already stable at version 1.x.x.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The EFLs which is what E17 is built on top of are at a 1.x.x release. E17 itself is still in development though.

      Delete
  5. Ah, I see. Thank you, JH!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is fabulous 64 bit E17 i am impressed to have done a fabulous job ...too bad Elive ..they fell asleep at the wheel whilst Bodhi became a solid working distro with META libray great 3D and fast boot and fast shut down ( 2 secs on shutdown ) and 14 secs start up on an oldish 680i LT board with a Q6600 2.4 ghz intel quad and 8 gb DDR2 PC6400 ram ..am VERY impressed

    ReplyDelete